Superior Heavy Vehicle Licensing
About the program
Attract and retain key personnel by enrolling them in this traineeship program. By combining a Certificate III qualification, hands-on driving experience and DECA's professional driving subjects, your employees will be receiving the highest level of professional driver training which the industry is demanding, which means the impact to your business is immediate. Your driver will have all the skills and know-how to effectively and efficiently drive your trucks as well as the professionalism to go far in your organisation.
The Superior Heavy Vehicle Licensing Program provides the industry with more than just a licensed driver:
- Initial intensive 6 week pre-employment program designed to get prospects job ready to seamlessly fit into your business.
- Total course length is designed to be an 18 – 24 months traineeship, giving trainees the most comprehensive program ever in Australia.
- Trainees will complete the program with a Certificate III in Driving Operations (TLI31216), and Heavy Vehicle licence.
Together we will work to address the skills gap in the transport industry.
- Through our networks we can also provide you with a pool of applicants from which you can select new potential candidates as trainees.
- We work closely with you to select the trainees that would best suit your business.
- Trainees are trained across a range of DECA’s fleet of heavy vehicles.
- We also liaise with your Australian Apprenticeship Support Network or jobactive provider to ensure that all paperwork and training documentation is completed on time.
- We provide you with advice on government funding that is available to make this training more affordable for your business.
Each step of the training is mapped out so that prospects are building on their training through practical driving opportunities. The key advantage of this program is that it produces safe/productive drivers in its early stages.
PHASE ONE (weeks 1 – 6)
Week 1 Safety First in Transport
- TLIL1001 Complete workplace orientation/induction procedures
- TLIF1001 Follow work health and safety procedures
- TLIH2001 Interpret road maps and navigate pre-determined routes
- TLIF1002 Conduct housekeeping activities
Week 2 Workplace responsibilities in Transport
- TLIF2010 Apply fatigue management strategies
- TLIF0001 Apply chain of responsibility legislation, regulations, and workplace procedures
- TLIK2010 Use infotechnology devices in the workplace
- TLIE3028 Complete a work diary in the road transport industry
Weeks 3 - 5 SHVL Driver Coaching / Training
- Mechanical appreciation
- Load restraint
- Couple / Uncouple
- On road coaching
Week 6 Heavy Vehicle Licensing
- TLILIC2016 Licence to drive a heavy rigid vehicle or TLILIC2017 Licence to drive a heavy combination vehicle
- TLIB2004 Carry out vehicle inspection
At the completion of the first 6 weeks, your business will have an opportunity to interview prospects, offer employment to successful candidates, from which point the traineeship will begin.
- TLID1001 Shift materials safely using manual handling methods
- TLIA1001 Secure cargo
- TLID2004 Load and unload goods/cargo
- TLIB2008 Carry out inspection of trailers
- TLIE1005 Carry out basic workplace calculations
- TLIE2008 Process workplace documents
- TLII1002 Apply customer service Skills
- TLIU1009 Monitor plant & equip in an environmentally sustainable manner
- TLIF2006 Apply accident-emergency procedures
- TLIH3002 Plan & navigate routes
- TLID2022 Conduct weighbridge operations
- TLILIC0001 Licence to transport dangerous goods by road
- TLILIC2001 Licence to Operate Forklift truck
This phase includes the following DECA programs:
DECA Rollover Prevention and Stability Program
This program uses both theory and practical training to give professional drivers a greater understanding of heavy
vehicle dynamics, and the measures they can put in place to recognise and minimise rollover risk. Not only will
driving skill levels improve, but each driver will develop a heightened respect for the vehicles they drive, and apply
themselves in the professional and responsible manner expected by fleet operators.
DECA Pro Driver Program
Focusing on human behaviour and important theories behind safe and efficient driving, drivers will not only obtain
new knowledge and skill, but also develop a heightened sense of professionalism. This program covers everything
from fuel savings and reducing maintenance costs, through to time management and the importance of driver health.
RTO: 3097. Courses may lead to an AQF Qualification or Statement of Attainment. Information is correct at time of publication and subject to change. Funding may be available to eligible individuals from Victorian & Commonwealth Governments. Eligibility criteria apply. If funding is utilised, this may affect opportunities to access additional funding in the future. Please note fees will apply for phases 2 and 3.